WeatherBug® Total Lightning Network
The WeatherBug Total Lightning Network (WTLN) is the first and only nationwide network designed specifically to provide integrated intracloud (IC) and cloud-to-ground (CG) lightning detection. WTLN will be integrated into WeatherBug's surface observation network of 8,000 live weather stations. The WTLN will deliver unmatched network density and redundancy providing higher reliability and enhanced lightning detection efficiency and location accuracy.
The Importance of Intracloud (IC) Lightning Detection
WTLN is the first to use broadband frequency monitoring on a national scale to detect IC lightning. IC lightning detection at high efficiency is critical for advanced forecasting of severe weather phenomena:
- Damaging downburst winds
- Deadly CG lightning strikes which follow 5-to-30 after IC flashes begin
The powerful combination of WeatherBug's broadband system and dense network deployment enables capture of both intracloud (IC) and cloud-to-ground (CG) flashes with unsurpassed reliability and detection capabilities well beyond that of existing networks.
- View/Download PDF - Total Lightning Overview
- Watch Video - Total Lightning Network Alert Overview
- View - WeatherBug Total Lightning Network Package
Unparalled Results Delivered by the Power of
the WeatherBug Total Lightning Network
December 10, 2008
WTLN detects a nearly solid line of IC and CG lightning within cells of a major storm line. Damaging winds and at least one confirmed tornado were associated with these storms.
The superior detection of IC lightning through the network provides early warning of many severe weather events.
December 11, 2008
Developing thunderstorms in the DelMarVA region began producing IC lightning at 4:30 p.m.
The WeatherBug Total Lightning Network was the only nationwide network to detect any flashes at this time, providing waveforms for every flash
The WeatherBug Total Lightning Network Difference
- High temporal resolution high frequency (HF) sensors enhance detection of IC flashes
- First broadband national total lightning network
- A state-of-the-art high performance network system enabling scale and data flow efficiencies
- Unmatched network density and redundancy provides higher reliability and enhanced lightning detection efficiency and location accuracy
- High radio frequency (HF) sees fast cloud pulses
Providing Critical Safety and Operational Support
The WeatherBug Total Lightning Network provides data crucial for comprehensive weather management and emergency planning for:
- First Responders and Emergency Managers
- Sports & Recreation
- Mobile Alerting
The WeatherBug Total Lightning Network - Pioneering breakthrough weather technology that saves lives
View - WeatherBug Total Lightning Network Package